Love him or hate him, no one can argue that Donald Trump doesn’t know how to get people’s attention. The person in the lead to become the Republican nominee for the 2016 Presidential election has the entire country glued to the TV, radio, and internet wondering and waiting to see what he’s going to say or do next.
As a business owner, it is critical for you to be able to cut through all the marketing noise in the marketplace and grab people’s attention for them to buy your services and products.
So, how do you grab attention, you ask?
Here are 6 steps to marketing like Donald Trump.
1. Know your audience or target market. In order to be successful in marketing, you must first know who you’re trying to reach. As a business person, you can’t be all things to all people. In fact, trying to reach everybody is a recipe for disaster and is one of the quickest ways to go out of business.
It’s completely obvious that “the Donald” is not trying reach a wide group of people, just a very select group. Identify people who are passionate and have a strong interest in your service, industry, or market and you have an opportunity to have raving fans like the Donald.
2. Pick a topic or subject your target market is passionate about. Once you have selected your target market, find out what topics or subjects your target group really wants to hear about or is passionate about. Where are people placing their time, attention and most importantly, their money? Go online and look at social media groups and chat forums. Notice what topics seem to be getting the most comments.
Another great way is to ask or survey your target market. This is a great place to start developing a list of subjects or topics to center your marketing on. Donald Trump knows what’s important to the group he wants to target, which is why his supporters are pumped up!
3. Make controversial statement. Next, take a controversial position on the topic or subject your target market is passionate about. To gain people’s attention, you must be worthy of having their attention. An attention-worthy position is not popular with a wide audience. If it were popular, it would be common and ordinary. To grab attention your position must be extra-ordinary.
Let me be clear, your actions or statements should never be offensive, rude, or insensitive. Being controversial doesn’t mean negative. It simply means different. If most competitors or potential clients in your market or industry is going in one direction or using a certain product, tool, or technique; you may be able to grab attention if you can show compelling benefits of another new, different, or little-known product, tool, technique, etc. that no one else is using or knows about that has some really great benefits.
For example, you could talk about, "Reasons Why Going Natural May Actually Be Bad for You" or "Why You Should Do “No-Poo” Shampoo". Or better still, something clever like " Why I Recommend Getting Your Hair Cut with Swords" (which got over 628,178 likes).
4. Develop a clear marketing message and remain focused. Once you know who you want to attract, what’s important to them, and you have a controversial, attention-worthy position, now develop your marketing message. A good marketing message clearly communicates who you’re trying to attract, states clearly your position, and the benefit of them taking your service or product offer.
When people and competitors come out to dispute your claim, remain focused and always double-down on your really important points like Trump. Bold statements repeated consistently will become true in your target markets mind.
5. Be confident. Be confident in your position. Being confident is absolutely crucial in your communications. Confidence comes from believing in your message and your message being authentic to who you are and what you believe. Always support your position with facts, research and testimonies which adds credibility to your message and give you more confidence.
6. Select the right media. Choosing where to put your message so your audience can hear it is the final piece to marketing. Survey your target market to find out what they are watching, reading, and listening to. When and how often are they are tuning in to these media sources. Don’t forget that their friends and family can also be considered a pathway to communicate and share your message too.
Mix these elements together and you may not become the next presidential nominee but you could become a billionaire in your industry like Donald Trump.